Train on Thursday: Don Quichot, Miquel de Cervantes Saavedra

I travel with public transport on a regular base. I always love to check out what other people read while traveling. When I get a chance I take a look if their book would be something for me.

The young girl was having this big book on her lap and hiding in it. While walking by I could read the cover and was surprised. I do not know 1 person who read this book though everyone knows who Don Quichot is. She had the Dutch version on her lap which has the full title "De vernuftige edelman Don Quichot van La Mancha"

De vernuftige edelman Don Quichot van la Machna cover
Don Quixote has become so entranced by reading chivalric romances, that he determines to become a knight-errant himself. In the company of his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, his exploits blossom in all sorts of wonderful ways. While Quixote's fancy often leads him astray -- he tilts at windmill's, imagining them to be giants -- Sancho acquires cunning and a certain sagacity. Sane madman and wise fool, they roam the world together, and together they have haunted readers' imaginations for nearly four hundred years.
I am not sure if I would read this book. My average experience with the classic stories are not very positive. Still there are some raving reviews and the average rating on various sites is pretty decent. Various reviews say once you get pulled in the story you will not realize it is 400 years old.
Still my initial reaction is nah... not for me.

Did you read this book and if what did you think of it?

What did you spot while you where traveling?
Previous
Next Post »