Review: The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick

The Invention of Hugo Cabret Brian Selznick cover
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks - like the gears of the clocks he keeps- with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the train station, Hugo's undercover life and his most precious secret are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this mystery.


Brian Selznick is the illustrator of many celebrated picture books and novels. Selznick has worked as a bookseller, a set designer, and a puppeteer. He lives in Brooklyn, New York and San Diego, California.

I saw this book a few months ago and I cannot remember where anymore. I got intrigued by the color full cover and went on the look for more information on this book. I really loved the idea of the combination between graphics and story so I got myself a copy. I decided to pick it up as part of a read-a-thon I was participating in. I had the feeling that after reading two book the combination of this book would be a relieve and I can say it was.
I picked up the book and was pulled into the story immediately. The whole book is used to set an atmosphere even before the story starts. After a brief introduction the book starts with a lot of images telling the situation of Hugo. The way the images build up it is clear they are part of the story and not just to support the story. I love the drawings. All of them are black and white and they look very basic but if you look careful there are many nice details in them. The build up in the story is very nicely done and I found it very emotional and vulnerable.
The main character Hugo is a young boy. Alone and scared he is holding on to the last memories he has of his belove father. Though he steals things it is obvious he does not do it when not in need, except for the toys. He is obviously very smart and handy. Isabelle is a real know it all. A bossy little lady. I really like the interaction between these characters. I felt some sympathy for the toy seller too. He just tries to make money for his family. I am wondering still after finishing what happened. The explanation for his behavior was not very satisfying but maybe that is my adult eye.
This whole book is beautiful and for sure worth a read!
“ If you lose your purpose ... it's like you're broken. ”

“Time can play all sorts of tricks on you. In the blink of an eye, babies appear in carriages, coffins disappear into the ground, wars are won and lost, and children transform, like butterflies, into adults.”

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Author: Brian Selznick
Publisher:  Scholastic
ISBN-10:  0439813786
ISBN-13:  9780439813785
Pages:  525
Format: Hardcover
Scholastic: various

5 star review
Previous
Next Post »