Train on Thursday: Specials, Scott Westerfield

I travel with public transport on regular base. One of my favorite past times when in bus or train besides reading is checking out what other people read. I usually look these books up (especially when someone is so hooked they don't notice me checking them out) to see if they would be something for me. In this weekly I will introduce you to the books I spotted while traveling. Feel free to leave a comment with your public transport books. If you want to write your own post feel free to link your post in the comments.

"Special Circumstances": The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.
And now she's been turned into one of them: a superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.
The strength, the speed, and the clarity and focus of her thinking feel better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more.
Still, it's easy to tune that out -- until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.

I have heard about the Uglies trilogy on several occasions but never started reading the books. They sound interesting enough but there are many more books I want to read and if I take that into consideration they do not really fall in the top books that catch my attention. As I like to read series starting at the beginning there is only a small chance I will ever get to Specials.
The girl who was reading the book obviously loved it, she could hardly put it down when someone asked her something.
Did you read the Uglies books and what did you think of them?


Do not hesitate to leave your own travel book spots in the comments or writer your own post if you have a blog and leave the link!!
Previous
Next Post »

2 reacties

Write reacties
Ellie
AUTHOR
16 May, 2013 delete

Haha I like this idea. I wlak to work though so can't join in. I have read the first book in the Uglies series...I think YA dystopia has exploded since then. When it first came out it was probably quite different to the rest of the market. I enjoyed it but I think there are probably better examples around now.

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
16 May, 2013 delete

I sometimes encounter these people who read a book while walking... I always wonder how they do it.

Reply
avatar