Train on Thursday: Sycamore Row, John Grisham

Just admit if you see someone with a book somewhere you need to know what that person is reading. You do check what other people buy in the bookstore. You keep track what the person before you is checking out at the library and you hate the fact that you cannot see what someone is reading with all these e-readers. If you see a book on a blog with a pretty cover you will check it out in one go if it something for you... you actually do this with every book you see that seems to be of interest of other people. Did you recognize yourself already? If yes do join me in Train on Thursday.
The rules are simple. You spotted a book and checked if it would be something for you no matter how that turned out. Write a post with general information of the book and the reason why it caught your interest and if you did or did not add it to your to be read pile.

De erfgenaam, John Grisham
Seth Hubbard is a wealthy man dying of lung cancer. He trusts no one. Before he hangs himself from a sycamore tree, Hubbard leaves a new, handwritten, will. It is an act that drags his adult children, his black maid, and Jake into a conflict as riveting and dramatic as the murder trial that made Brigance one of Ford County's most notorious citizens, just three years earlier.
The second will raises far more questions than it answers. Why would Hubbard leave nearly all of his fortune to his maid? Had chemotherapy and painkillers affected his ability to think clearly? And what does it all have to do with a piece of land once known as Sycamore Row?

It has been long since I read a Grisham. I can imagine buying this book when I got nothing to read. I did not really get a feeling what the person reading it was thinking about it. He was not easily distracted but did not show any enthusiasm either. What was the last Grisham you read?

I call this topic Train on Thursday as I spot most of my books there. You are free to rename this weekly but do please link back



Previous
Next Post »

3 reacties

Write reacties
24 January, 2014 delete

Fun concept! I’m always sneaking a peek at what other people are reading. Sometimes I’m a bit horrified and sometimes I’m thrilled, but in the age of e-readers I’m often left debating whether to ask what’s on their Kindle!

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
24 January, 2014 delete

If I see someone reading and really enjoying what they are reading I do ask sometimes. But e-readers do make it hard :(

Reply
avatar
Lianne
AUTHOR
24 January, 2014 delete

Wow, that novel sounds intense! I haven't read a Grisham novel in years either (I don't even remember which title I read, lol! Time for a re-read?), might have to keep a lookout for this one ;)

Reply
avatar