The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins

Author: Paula Hawkins
Publisher: Transworld
Pages: 319
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-10: 0857522310
ISBN-13: 9780857522313
Transworld: eBook | Hardcover | Audiobook
TITELBOEK




Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good? (goodreads)

I love psychological thrillers and this is a very interesting one as it is clearly full with psychopaths. At one point I started to wonder who was going to kill who. I did figure things out halfway the book and that spoiled the fun a bit.
Rachel is the worst character... apparently an hysteric drunk it is not easy to connect to her. I pitied her though which I think was actually the feeling that was needed to feel doubt about her actions but hope that it might turn out well.
The two important men in this book Tom and Scott gave me an eerie feeling early on. The one a bit to much of a brute the other way to sly. I felt forced in being suspicious of both which I did not really like.
I loved the idea though of being so involved in people you see in your commute every day. Considering what their lives are like and making things up for them. The story did work and there was a great puzzle if you can stand trying to solve it trough the eyes of a gin evoked intoxication
Previous
Next Post »

6 reacties

Write reacties
Melinda
AUTHOR
04 May, 2015 delete

I've heard so much hype about this book! Good that you liked it and gave it 4 stars!

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
04 May, 2015 delete

I liked this book too, but you're right, it's full of yucky characters. There are very few to like at all.

Reply
avatar
DoingDewey
AUTHOR
05 May, 2015 delete

It's so disappointing when you figure out the twist in a book that's all about a big reveal! That can make it much less enjoyable.

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
05 May, 2015 delete

There is a lot of hype indeed and I am not really sure it lives up to that. I tried to read it without considering the hype to much.

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
05 May, 2015 delete

I do not always mind to figure out the twist as it can be interesting to see the build op to the revelation. But it does take out some of the excitement.

Reply
avatar
Isi
AUTHOR
12 May, 2015 delete

I have to read this one!
Since I don't have any detective skills, I'm sure I won't figure it out ;)

Reply
avatar